Much Thanks to Loren’s Installation Experience About His Ford Van E350 Sportsmobile Hood Solar Panel.
What Loren Said
The Lensun hood solar panel is an amazing piece of kit. Our E350 Sportsmobile is our rolling vacation home and we have been slowly building it out to suit our adventures. After upgrading from an ice cooler to a fridge, we were draining our starting battery after two days of camping. We added a deep cycle battery which increased that range, but I wanted a permanent solution that would keep both batteries fully charged and ready to go at a moments notice.
When I found the Lensun hood solar panel I was skeptical but I decided to give it a shot. I chose the hood mount panel because I only needed 100watts, it was a simple install that didn’t require cutting through my roof, and the panel can easily be wiped clean from the ground to maximize efficiency.
First, the customer service that I experienced was amazing. I asked for a specific application for my van and the team was available to answer any questions I had along the way, including walking me through the testing procedure after the first panel was damaged in shipping. They were able to get me a new panel immediately and without any hassle. The installation went smoothly and was actually much easier than I anticipated.
For my van I installed the controller on top of the fuse box allowing me to see the power and charging lights and also allowing me to route all of the cables without any modification maintaining a very clean look under the hood. Because I have a battery isolator, I was able to connect directly to the starting battery and it will charge that battery first and then overflow is directed to the house battery.
This panel puts out 21v in direct sunlight which is plenty to keep both batteries topped up at all times allowing my fridge to run continuously without issue. I do have Bluetooth battery monitors connected to both batteries so that I can monitor charge and loads.
This is an amazing product that has been working great since I installed it. If you’re installing by yourself, be sure to mark everything well and pay attention, which I did not do. During the installation of the vinyl, I had marked the top but I wasn’t watching and installed it upside down. It does not affect the function of the vinyl and the coverage area is sufficient, but I was gluing the panel down when I noticed which was too late. The 3m VHN tape that I purchased worked great and I used about a roll and a half (21 feet total).
Ford Sportsmobile E350 Van Lensun 105W Hood Solar Panel Charge for Battery
Lensun hood solar panel mounts to the hood/bonnet of your vehicles. And charge the vehicle battery, leisure battery or power station(jackery, goal zero…etc) .
Keep your fridges, lighting, phones, cameras, radios, etc everything else charged. Do not worry a dead battery while camping/off the grid.
Perfactly shaped for the hood of the vehicle. Easy to install plug and play wiring.
Lensun Hood Solar Panel Feature
1. Keep your vehicle battery or auxiliary battery topped up all the times without the need to start your engine. Your battery will charge every time your vehicle is parked in the sun, run your fridge and recharged all electronic devices and lights. Without worring about a dead battery while out exploring.
2. Keep your power station charge，the E350 Sportsmobile hood solar panel come with standard solar connectors, use adaptors(buy separate) charge for most of the power station on the market, Jackery/Goalzero/Suoki/Flashfish…etc. If you are not sure which adapter to use please contact us.
3. Decreased hood glare. The surface of Lensun hood solar panel is a high-quality ETFE film, which will not reflect light. And because the solar panel’s light absorbing properties, the decreased glare while driving.
4. Convenience and space saving. The E350 Sportsmobile hood solar panel adheres directly to the vehicle’s hood, requiring no roof rack or mounting hardware. The complete plug-and-play system can be installed easy. Unlike a portable solar panel, there’s no need to set it up or stow it inside of a vehicle, which can eat up precious cargo space.
5. Protect and extend battery life：As a result our batteries are only at about 60% charge at best if you drive it daily, if you park it for 2-3 weeks it won’t start in the summer. Also the battery goes bad in 2-3 years. Lensun hood solar panel keep the vehicle battery charge to maintain the battery.
6. The optional Plug-and-play 10A Waterproof MPPT solar charge controller, has been pre-wired with fuses, terminals, and connectors. The Solar charge controller is based on common negative design and advanced MPPT control algorithm, with intelligent protection against reverse polarity, overcharging, short-circuit, and reverse current.
This solar controller compatible with Various Battery options: Sealed, AGM, Gel, Liquid and Lithium-ion.
Click to check Lensun 10A Waterproof MPPT Solar Controller
7. The optional custom-fitted vinyl decal protects the vehicle paint from damage. Highly suggests using a vinyl decal between the solar panel and hood.
Lensun 65W ETFE Flexible Solar Panel Feature
1. Solar cell: Grade A PERC Monocrystalline solar cells with much higher efficiency and more durability than other mono solar cells.
2. Premium EFTE Film: This film features superior light transmittance and weatherproof performance, and is also heat, corrosion, and UV resistant. ETFE also has self-cleaning abilities, ensuring the best performance day after day.
3. Backboard: Durable fiberglass substrate backboard, better heat dissipation than PET backboard which ensures a long lifetime. ETFE film and fiberglass backboard can withstand extreme environmental conditions, maintenance-free for years.
4. Ultrathin & Lightweight: At only 3mm thick, the E350 Sportsmobile hood solar panel is powerful, waterproof, lightweight(60% less than the conventional solar panels), durable, and highly resistant to the harsh operating conditions of a marine environment.
Peak power: 105W
Solar cell efficiency: 23%
Maximum power voltage: 21V
Maximum power current: 5A
Open circuit voltage: 24V
Short circuit current: 5.5A
Power allowance range: +/-3%
Maximum system voltage: 500V
Net Weight: 3kgs/6.6 lbs
J-Box: IP 68 rated with 2m/6.5ft cables and standard connectors
Values at standard test conditions: Air Mass – AM1.5, Irradiance – 1000W/m2, Cell Temperature – 25°C
More Installation Cases for Ford F-150 from Our Customers
Otto Purchased a Hood Solar Panel for His 2018 Ford F-150
I purchased and installed the 2018 Ford F-150 hood panel. It did take a little bit to get the installation right as I had not done one before but the finished product was very good. I am very impressed with the finished installation.
William Installed a Hood Solar Panel for His F-150
Great communication once the order was processed. The quality of the product is great. The installation is simple and quick. The 60W panel was installed 14 days ago and since then it has produced 1.17kWh. No more worrying if the battery is going to be dead.
In addition to Ford, we also offer the hood solar panels for most off-road SUVs and all various of brand trucks on the market, such as the hood solar panels of Toyota,Land Rover, Chevy, Dodge, Hummer, Jeep, Isuzu, Nissan, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, Subaru, Suzuki.
If there has any questions or advice, please contact us or call us in the following information from Mondays to Fridays. Any wholesale requests just call us or email us, thanks.